Gnucash 2.6.11 on Windows

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Fri Apr 1 03:10:50 EDT 2016

On Friday 01 April 2016 12:08:16 Chris Good wrote:
> > Message: 1
> > Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2016 18:24:15 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: wwhk10 <wwhk10 at gmail.com>
> > To: gnucash-devel at gnucash.org
> > Subject: Re: Gnucash 2.6.11 on Windows
> >
> > I did a seach of easy-invoice.scm on my C-drive.  I found that there
> > are various version of this file.  By modifying them each
> > differently, I finally figured out which version takes precedence.
> >
> > This is the path for this version:
> >
> > C:\Users\ibm\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program
> > Files\gnucash\share\gnucash\scm\gnucash\report
> >
> > Can anyone educate me on how this came about?  How come there are so
> > many versions?  In fact,
> > C:\Users\ibm\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program
> > Files\gnucash\share\Gnucash\report corresponds to the directory
> > under C:\Program Files\gnucash\share\gnucash\report.
> >
> > It looks as if the report is user specific.  Help please.
> >
> > Wendy
>
> Hi Wendy,
> See
> http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-files/c
> usersuserappdatalocalvirtualstore-this-folder-is/619bd162-e0be-45c2-bf
> 26-860d5a56522d
>
> Which says:
> It is usually older programs that attempt to save files / settings to
> a location that requires administrative rights which results in
> Windows writing the files to the VirtualStore folder. A marker is
> also created so that if the program accesses that file again, it will
> point to the file in the VirtualStore folder.
>

> This is Microsoft protecting the files in Program Files or Program
> Files (x86). You might like to try copying the file from the
> virtualstore to the real installation folder using windows Explorer
> (or File Explorer if Windows 10). You may have to enter %appdata% in
> the start field to be able to see the folders under AppData.
>
> Regards,
> Chris Good

In addition instead of modifying the original reports, you could consider creating a custom
report based on such an original report. This has the advantage that future updates won't
overwrite your changes. This wiki page explains custom reports in more detail:
http://wiki.gnucash.org/wiki/Custom_Reports

Regards,

Geert