Patch : editing "Posted" time of transactions.

gLETTERyYuMEANSj LETTERyOt gletteryyumeansjletteryot at gmail.com
Fri Jan 29 08:07:57 EST 2016

Dear Geert,

Thank you for your very helpful input !

>> > Don't remove function description comments; do make them Doxygen
>> > markup.

> On Friday 29 January 2016 11:44:53 I wrote:
>> I did that because some function description comments were removed
>> between gnucash-2.6.5 and end of 2015. Should I also revert those
>> comments?

> Can you provide some links to commits that remove comments ? There may have
> been other
> reasons this was done.

https://github.com/gijut/gnucash/commit/2b84dfae8d74371e300bfdcd0fab5f2633dc732d
(git-blame was useless to locate that URL, I had to try my luke on
https://github.com/gijut/gnucash/commits/master/src/libqof/qof/gnc-date.cpp)

I have well understood that I should not remove such comments, whatever the
reason to above old commit.

> Well definitely not to gnucash-2.4.12. That's a version of gnucash that's no
> longer supported.
> Are you working from an old tarball for your development ?

No. Sorry for the confusion. gnucash-2.4.12 is the first version on which I
tried to show times, long ago. It got me nowhere, except to understand that the
button "Use a 24 hour (instead of a 12 hour) time format", still present in
latest gnucash preference forms and in line
https://github.com/Gnucash/gnucash/blob/master/src/gnome-utils/gtkbuilder/dialog-preferences.glade#L1086
, was not able to show transaction times.

> on which direction to take on this. You can raise your voice there and
> motivate why you believe
> gnucash should keep time stamps [1]. Personally, I don't see much use for it
> as I use gnucash,
> but I'm not the only user :)

Time awareness is the most natural way for "Modeling multiple buys and/or
sells" on the same day (quoted from a mail about stock exchange dated 2015/8/12
at 15h13 posted on the thread "Rounding in the price db." on this mailing
list).

Should I add changes to src/gnome-utils/gtkbuilder/dialog-preferences.glade to
let the user decide, at runtime, if he wants to see times or no ?

> You can use interactive rebasing to prune out the bad commit
> git rebase -i <base branch>

Many thanks.

Best Regards, Daniel