Printing report

Geert Janssens geert.gnucash at kobaltwit.be
Wed Apr 12 03:21:28 EDT 2017

On woensdag 12 april 2017 09:55:20 CEST Pedro Albuquerque wrote:
> This is probably off topic and I haven't had the time to even try, but I
> intend to do so when on vacations.

I'm certainly interested in the result of such an experiment.

> Gnucash uses XML for data keeping. Maybe we can use Jasper Reports to
> enhance GnuCash capabilities.

Perhaps. I agree html is not necessarily the best option and I'm interested in
alternatives.

A few remarks and questions that pop up immediately:

1. In the longer term we expect gnucash to exclusively use sql for data
storage, reducing the role of xml to an import/export format. I don't know if
Jasper Reports also works with sql.

2. How easy or hard would it be for ordinary users to create totally new
reports ? In our current implementation basic knowledge of the scheme
programming language is required. This is a high barrier for most users and I
would want any alternative to make this easier.

3. How deep can it integrat in gnucash ? For example current reports can have
links that allow users to jump to a register, an invoice, another report,...

4. How well does it do graphs (dynamic sizing, interaction like displaying
details when hovering a part,...)

5. What's needed for printing/exporting ?

Regards,

Geert