Depreciation Chapter in the Guide

David T. sunfish62 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 25 22:21:52 EST 2017

Frank,
I found the thread I was thinking of, but I had remembered it backward. In an October discussion about capital gains, John wondered about deleting the capital gains chapter, since the information there was not useful. He mentioned the depreciation chapter as one reason why the cap gains chapter could be deleted.
My apologies.
David
P.s. I'll take your word about the subprime crisis.

  On Thu, Jan 26, 2017 at 2:25, Frank H. Ellenberger<frank.h.ellenberger at gmail.com> wrote:   Hi David,

Am 23.01.2017 um 18:23 schrieb David T. via gnucash-devel:
> Hello,
>
> Just revisiting bug 687820, and trying to update the overall roadmap
> to 2017. ISTR at one point John suggesting that the chapter on
> Depreciation (chapter 20) would be better off scrapped. I wanted to
> check whether that sentiment is generally held, or whether it should
> remain.
>
> David

where, please?

I am absolutly against removing it. It is a fundamental accounting
technic and it should be explained how to do it in GnuCash.

Currently I see at least 2 important use cases:

In DE the smallest selfemployed has to depraciate his Laptop over 3
years, his car over 5 years, in short every asset valued over ~100€.

When you track the value of your real estate and the related mortgage,
you can handle a situation like the subprime crisis much better. You
could see the danger much earlier.

~Frank