gnucash locks when running on a remote workstation

Rich Shepard rshepard@appl-ecosys.com
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 14:32:48 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 15 Nov 2000 linas@linas.org wrote:

> wow, that makes me scratch my head.

Linas,

  Me, too. Another reason there's less and less hair on it.

> does the server have a screen attached to it?  If you run gnucash
> on the server displayuing on the server screen, does it also crash?

  Sure. The "server" is another workstation, the one on which I work. We
export and nfs-mount different filesystems to share apps and data across the
network.

> what version of gnucash is on the server?

  We've been running 1.4.5; I just upgraded the rpm today to 1.4.8.

> To further debug, you need to send us the following info:
>
> installd gdb (gnu debugger) if not already installed.

  It's there.

> at the command line:  gdb gnucash
> you get a prompt, type: r    (for 'run')
>
> after it crashes, type 'where', and mail in that listing.
> ('where' provides a stack trace)

  Doesn't running strace gnucash do the same thing? I ask only because I've
heard of strace, but I've not had need -- yet -- to run it.

  Regardless, we'll run gnucash under the debugger later today.

> you may also want to examine the shared libraries you have installed,
> use 'ldconfig -p', its possible you have an old library on the server.

  Hmmm. I have 486 libraries noted. I've no idea for which one(s) I need to
check, nor how to tell how old they are. But, everything installed by rpm
should be updated completely, AFAIK.

More later. Thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
              Making environmentally-responsible mining happen. (SM)