Window auto-sizing, default date ranges

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 23:29:17 -0700

Robert Graham Merkel writes:
> kjordan writes:
>  > Hi,
>  >
>  >    I'm running GnuCash 1.4.1 under KDE (horrors!).  When I open a
>  > register window, the transaction entries aren't always completely
>  > visible in their cells.  Flukily enough, I found that by
>  > double-clicking the heading of a column, the column automagically
>  > resizes itself -- resizing the entire window if need be -- so that all
>  > entries in that column are perfectly visible.  Oh bliss!  But while
>  > I'm generally not averse to the odd double-click here and there, my
>  > overwhelming tendency towards general slothfulness makes me wish the
>  > window -- and all columns -- would just pop up all perfectly sized
>  > when the window is first opened.  Is that possible?  Or will I forever
>  > be forced to exert excruciating effort applying the mighty
>  > double-click?
>  >

> I don't think this has been changed yet.  What we could conceivably do
> is save the register column withds as an option.  Guys, is this feasible?

The way register sizing works needs to be improved, but it can get
complicated. If want to save column sizes totally optimally, we would
need to do so on a per-account basis, since different accounts will
have different optimal column widths.

Saving one set of columns widths would be much simpler and that would
probably be good enough, I think.

If we automatically open an account with the columns wide enough to
show everything and with the window wide enough to show all columns,
then for account trees with deep nesting, the window will often be too
large to fit the screen.

We should probably stop auto-resizing the register window since
that is rather unexpected behavior from the user's point of view.

So, how about this. Continue saving the window size and start saving
column widths. If the columns are too large to fit in the window, then
just use horizontal scrolling, don't bother continually adjusting the
register window. Thoughts?

dave