Yet Another Basic Accounting Question

James H. Bennett pescalito@iccas.com
Thu, 20 Dec 2001 16:17:20 -0800

Rob,

Seems to me that you are acquiring an asset, your house, a piece at a
time and that your"expenses" are actually part of the cost of your
house.  So a check, e.g. for lumber, would be debited in your
asset:house acct.

As for revaluing, I don't think you account for it at all until your
house is sold.  At that time any increase (decrease) in value would be
profit (loss).  Having someone say that your house is worth $whatever is
not an accounting event.  The only reason to keep track of estimated
valuations is to have a better idea of current net worth or to borrow
against the asset.

Of course I could be completely wrong about this, not being an
accountant.  :-)  I'm sure someone will correct me if that is the case.

Jim