How to change many transactions' accounts

Dave Peticolas dave@krondo.com
Mon, 12 Feb 2001 05:02:03 -0800

Jonathan David Wheelhouse writes:
> Hi
>
> I'm running gnucash 1.4.9.
>
> Part of my account hierarchy is the following:
>
> Liability
> 	Tax
> 		fid
> 		something else
> 		etc.
> Expense
>

> How do I move the Tax hierarchy to be part of the Expense account
> (easily)?  and have all the transactions that refer to those tax
> accounts changed as well?
>
> Or do I have to do it manually:
> - Create the tax hierarchy under the Expense account.
> - Manually change all transactions that refer to the Liability Tax
> ... accounts to refer to the new Expense Tax accounts.

You don't have to do it manually.

Open the 'Tax' Account Edit dialog. Change the parent of the
account to the Expense Account and change the type of the
Tax account to 'Expense'. GnuCash should tell you that it
needs to change the types of the subaccounts to Expense
as well.

As always when doing large manipulations like this you
should backup your datafile.

dave