OH HELP!

Robert Graham Merkel rgmerk@mira.net (Robert Graham Merkel)
Fri, 16 Feb 2001 07:55:15 +1100

canderson@spacebridge.com writes:
 > I am running the latest stable version of gnucash (1.4.10) on Mandrake
 > 7.2.  This morning after entering a months worth of data I tried to save
 > and got an error message saying that there was a problem saving the
 > file.   A few seconds later a dialog pops up asking me to save the file
 > or renaming the file.  I chose save and a prompt  if I wanted to
 > overwrite the existing file.  Seeing that it is the same file I chose
 > yes (unfortunately).  I subsequently opened the file just to check if
 > everything was ok., it was not.  My 5 years of financial data went into
 > the bit bucket. Gone,  all of it.  There are still log files and .xac
 > files,  is there a way to rebuild the database, or get back my data from
 > these files?  Please help -- that's a lot of data to loose.  In case
 > anyone is wondering about the 5 years, I was a quicken addict and gave
 > up waiting for them to make a linux version of their software.  I have
 > now switched to gnucash and I a'int  looking back.

The bad news - you may have lost the current session's data.

The good news - if you've still got the old .xac files around, you've
still got all your old data!

The <foo>.xac.<dateinfo>.xac files are complete .xac files which you
can open again quite happily.  Make sure you make a backup copy before
you do so!

Linas Vepstas has also written a script to recover from log files,
which you'll find in the mail archives at gnucash.org somewhere - I
think it's made its way into CVS, but not into a release yet.

HTH.

Robert Merkel	                           rgmerk@mira.net

"We are excited and optimistic about its usage going
forward and, yes, we can teach penguins the military
close-order drill", Mark Norton, US Department of Defense.