Building 1.4.10

Leo L. Schwab ewhac@best.com
Tue, 30 Jan 2001 12:39:13 -0800

	Silly me, I discovered I'm using GnuCash 1.3.something, which seems
fairly ancient.  But I'm using Debian 2.2 (potato), so the RPMs are of
little use to me.  I tried grabbing v1.4.8 from Debian 'unstable', and also
the 'alien' package to try and deal with the RPM, but both of them want me
to upgrade libc6 from 2.1.3 to 2.2.1, and I'm not comfortable doing that
(I've heard of stability problems).

	So I thought I'd try compiling it myself.  I've had the following
problems with 'configure':
	o It konked out, asking for the 'swig' suite.  I pulled that down,
	  and went on.
	o It konked out claiming it couldn't find libjpeg, libz, or libXpm.
	  Rooting around in my system directories revealed that, while there
	  was a libjpeg.so.62 soft-linked to libjpeg.so.62.0.0, there was no
	  libjpeg.so link.  I was under the (mistaken?) impression that
	  'ldconfig' was supposed to magically do all that stuff.  After
	  creating the links for the "missing" libs by hand, I moved on.
	o It konked out again, claiming a missing GTK HTML widget thingie.
	  At this point it was 02:30, and I gave up for the night.

<RANT DEGREE="MILD">
	GnuCash has to be the most complex software package I've ever
encountered.  Its cross-dependencies on a dozen different big, non-standard
components is tremendously daunting, even to an old experienced hand such as
myself.  When simply *building* a package becomes this complex, the task of
making it reliable, IMHO, becomes asymptotically hard.

	Guys, this really needs to be simpler.  It needs to be much more
approachable, and much more easily built and verified as working correctly.
Complexity is not a good thing here; people get very twitchy when their
money is at stake.
</RANT>

	So, which bits in the Debian potato tree do I need to pull down to
finish compiling GnuCash 1.4.10?  (Or, better, is there is potato-oriented
1.4.recent .deb already in existence somewhere?)

					Schwab