QIF Fund Prices

Bill Gribble grib@linuxdevel.com
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 08:26:40 -0500

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 09:03:33AM -0400, Michael T. Garrison Stuber wrote:
> My 401k is structure inside of GNUCash with one master account which
> I regularly transfer money into, and from there an account for each
> investment.  This lines up with the way my 401k provider accounts
> for it.  Why I import the QIF file from them, for some reason every
> transaction is entered as an unbalanced transaction.

That sounds like a bug.  Would you be comfortable sending me a QIF
file that demonstrates this?  For maximum usefulness, you could also
do an "export accounts" and send me the resulting XML file.  It has
just your account names/types, not the transactions.

> What about an option that would allow a implicit prices to be stored
> in the price editor as well?

What problem would this solve?  I'm not sure I understand what you want.

> Finally, yes it would be nice to load the historical prices from the QIF
> file.  I have 4 years of prices in Quicken.  I hate to throw them away.

Have you tried fetching the historical prices from an on-line source?
I'd be interested to know how well (in general) it works to try to
reproduce a DB of historical prices via on-line quoting services.

In any case, I don't think it would be too hard to get the quotes from
the QIF file.  I am about to embark on a little refactoring of that
code so I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks,
Bill Gribble