Help installing gnucash 1.6.1

Malcolm Cooke malcolm.cooke@firstlightassociates.co.uk
Mon, 16 Jul 2001 17:34:18 GMT

Hi,

I'm fairly new to the Gnome world so please be patient if I talk the=20=

occasional rubbish.

I have installed gnome 1.4 from rpm off suse download site. (I'm running=
=20
suse 7.1), and then i have downloaded the suses 7.1 version of gnucash=20=

from the ftp gnucash site (gnucash-1.6.1-1.i386.rpm) along with the gwra=
p=20
files there.

Everything seemed to install ok but when I try to run gnucash get the=20=

following:

error while loading shared libraries : libgal.so.4, cannot open shared=20=

object file.=20

On my system this is because I have libgal.so.8 in /opt/gnome/lib

Shouldn't it work if I have a later version (which is what the=20
requirements seems to imply)? If not can I safely put libgal.so.4 there =

from somewhere (where would I finf that is another question). If I have =

the latest version of everything why is it asking for an old version?

I don't want to have to build everything from source =96 I am interested=
 in=20
the functionality of using gnucash for business use not a code developer=
=20
and basically know nothing about gnome. If I had to build everything fro=
m=20
source would that have to be gnome as well?

Hoping someone there can point me in the right direction.

Malcolm Cooke