Paying Expenses

Bill Gribble grib@billgribble.com
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 17:10:49 -0500

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 04:52:01PM -0400, Nathan Matias wrote:
> I seem to be having a problem with the version of GNUCash in the
> Debian unstable dist(1.6.1). I went through the druid and set up
> stuff, but when I try to pay expenses from my cash account(under my
> assets), it either increases the expense and subtracts from the cash
> account(ie, now I owe more) or it pays off part of the expense and
> adds to the cash account(ie, the money I pay off is added to my cash
> account. ie, $400 in cash account paying off $350 of my expense
> makes my cash account have $750)

That's what I would expect.  The balance of your cash account measures
how much cash you have, and the balance of your expense account measures
how much you have spent on that type of expense.  So if you spend cash on
an item, the cash balance should go down and the expense balance should go
up.

> Is this a bug in GNUcash or is it a problem with how I have things set up?

What did you expect to happen?

Thanks,
Bill Gribble