Problem with dependices

greg@gregandeva.net greg@gregandeva.net
Tue, 17 Jul 2001 21:43:15 -0600

> > if all else fails, --nodeps --force is a hammer that wil smash it into
> > shape.
> >
> > --linas

> That did the trick. I am now running 1.6.0-1.

You are fortunate this time. The problem with wildly swinging a hammer
is that it can do a lot of consequential damage while you pound in your
nail, like cracking your board. A hammer, like any tool, has to be used
with care. I am extremely reluctant to use "--nodeps --force" unless
absolutely nothing else works. Just to clarify this whole RPM
discussion:

-F  is freshen. It will fail silently if the package you name isn't
already installed, and it
    will upgrade if an older version of a named package is already
present.

-U is upgrade. It will complain and die if the package you name isn't
already installed, and it
   will upgrade if an older version already exists.

-i is install. It will complain and die if any version of the named
package is already
   installed, and it will install it if it isn't already there.

-F is most useful when you are naming a whole bunch of packages on one
command line, because it won't complain about packages that are already
up to date and it won't install anything except newer versions of what
you already have. It will, however, still complain about dependency
problems (if you are missing a package that a newer version of another
package requires).

-e is erase. It removes a package, and complains and dies if it isn't
already installed.

--nodeps causes it to ignore any dependency problems. --force causes it
to ignore file conflicts with other packages. These are the hammers that
can be very dangerous and can break things unexpectedly. In my
experience, it is rarely necessary to use these. Usually you can erase
an old package, then install a new version instead and avoid dependency
warnings that way, and also be more sure that you aren't breaking
anything in the process. But as long as it worked...

--Greg