Multi-user gnucash

Rich Shepard rshepard@appl-ecosys.com
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 17:06:01 -0800 (PST)

On Wed, 21 Mar 2001 ghaverla@freenet.edmonton.ab.ca wrote:

> I don't know if this would work for you or not, I am travelling this road
> with a GIS package I work with (GRASS).  Store your GnuCash files under
> CVS.  At least with text files, it can merge updates from multiple
> sources.  I'm not sure how it does with binary files.  It might work.  :-)

Gord,

  The use of CVS with GRASS has caused all sorts of problems (at least, in
the few of several of us). And, it's designed for multi-coder development
projects, not for sharing data files.

  No, I think the problem's with gnucash. For some reason, when access is
from another networked host it just doesn't treat the data files the same
way. If gnucash has aspirations of becoming a business bookkeeping system,
it has to not leave lock and link files in the data directory when users
access the main data file.

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)