unbound variable N_ (gettext problem)

Philippe Kehl phkehl@gmx.net
Tue, 6 Nov 2001 22:39:19 +0100 (MET)

Hello folks

I do a Linux from Scratch. So waiting for my distribution to include
gnucash 1.6.x is no option for me :-)

Well, after some hours i finally compiled everything. Now i start
gnucash:

flip@lfs ~ $ gnucash
/opt/share/gnucash/guile-modules/gnucash/report/account-piecharts.scm:38:25:

In expression (N_ "Income Piechart"):
/opt/share/gnucash/guile-modules/gnucash/report/account-piecharts.scm:38:25:

Unbound variable: N_

The same problem I have with a clean env:

env -i - HOME=/home/flip /opt/bin/gnucash

I understand what N_ does. I found gnucash/scm/xgettext.scm. If I
start gnucash --debug then i cannot see anything about
xgettext.scm. Also no file loaded by gnucash befor the error includes
or loads xgettext.scm (afaik).

I did the whole compilation several times! One time I compiled
everything  as RedHat did in RedHat Linux 7.2 (according to the
various .spec files in the src rpms), alway running into the very same
error. Funny thing: copying huge parts (all non binary files) from
RedHat installation to my Linuxfromscratch installation also results in
this error. The only difference I can see to the RedHat installation
ist that some of my stuff goes in /opt while RedHat puts everything in
/usr. I also tried to configure gnucash once with --user-included-gettext
(or so) and once without. No difference.

I don't know what to do now...

I would be nice to have gnucash back.. I should do some payments :-)

So long, and thanks in advance..

Philippe Kehl

I have the following libraries and progs installed:

prefix=/opt
	gnome-print, gnome-libs 1.2.8

prefix=/usr
	Guppi-0.35.2