Old Loans and "Retained Earnings"

Roland Roberts roland@astrofoto.org
14 Oct 2001 21:21:49 -0400

>>>>> "me" == Roland Roberts <roland@astrofoto.org> writes:

    me> So, I have these funny-looking balances which say I have a lot
    me> of money in "Retained Earnings".  How can I do this so it more
    me> closely resembles reality?  Do I need to add some old/bogus
    me> expenses "college tuition" to make the entries go away?

Okay, I guess I'll answer my own question, at least in part.  Now that
I pay attention to what I'm looking at on the "Retained Earnings"
account, I see the loans are listed as debits.

What I find confusing is that retained earnings shows a large positive
balance from all those debits.  Not being an accountant, I don't realy
understand this.  Can someone explain this or point me to a FAQ or
something?

roland
--
		       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD