QIF formatting

Conrad Canterford conrad@mail.watersprite.com.au
05 Dec 2002 10:39:10 +1100

On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 09:24, Daryl Lee wrote:
> I'm a brand-new Gnucash user (v 1.6.6), so this may be old news.  I just
> tried to import two QIF files, one from my bank and one from my credit
> card.  The credit card file imported fine, but the bank file was deemed by
> gnucash to be not a proper QIF file.
> Is there a reference that describes QIF syntax so I can see what the
> difference is?  Or is this a known problem?  Is there a solution?

There is, but I don't remember the URL for it just at the moment. A
google search for "QIF format" should find it.

However, I can tell you from many years of seeing these problems that
almost certainly there is a line missing from the start of the banks QIF
file. Compare it to the credit card one, and you'll probably find that
the first line of the bank QIF is missing a line starting with "!Type:".
You probably want to add a line !Type:Bank at the top of that file.

Conrad.