GnuCash vs. Quicken

Karl F. Larsen k5di@zianet.com
Sat, 7 Dec 2002 15:47:16 -0700 (MST)

	OK Chris, in as simple a way as possible here is what happens. I
load gnucash to Red Hat 8.0 with zero problems. I learned how to delete
the control files that are made like .gnucash so I can bring up the
software for the first time.

	I cancel all the stuff that wants to make an account tree and
leave only gnucash up and running. I make the accounts I want and when
done I hit Exit. A panel comes up saying I made changes and asked do I
want to save this. I say Yes.

	It comes up with another panel that lets me make a new directory
cash in /home/karl/. I do that and click OK and I get another panel with
a ! in a circle that says can't use /home/karl/cash/. If you redo it 2
times gnucash fails and I'm asked to submit a bug report.

	That is as far as I can get with it. The idea that there is a
permissions problem is not possible since the whole thing is running on
the permissions of user karl and everything in that directory tree
belongs to karl. But ANYONE can enter /home/ or /home/karl/ or
/home/karl/cash/. I checked this with user postgres.

	I got it working by making a directory /home/karl/cash/ and
putting files from an earlier version of gnucash in the directory. Then
I asked gnucash to use these files and it did.

	This computer is a stock work station load of Red Hat 8.0