Rapid version changes

Matthew Vanecek mevanecek@yahoo.com
07 Dec 2002 17:09:52 -0600

--=-nkS6OaGSduWSkZDL4fqA

On Sat, 2002-12-07 at 16:00, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> 	My point is this: The development by volunteers of gnucash have=20
> worked hard to change it from a simple single entery single user=20
> software to one that does so much more. But this is done at the cost of=
=20
> only a few people being able to make this system even run on their=20
> computer! There is a lot of un-interesting work yet to be done so that a=
=20
> person who buys Linux will find gnucash installed and working. I think=20
> the designers of gnucash should check with all the Linux suppliers and=20
> get a library list from them. Then if Red Hat doesn't have a library you=
=20
> need, you provide it with the system in the rpm file. Same with Debian.
>=20
For one, it's not the Gnucash responsibility to ship anything beyond
Gnucash.  Its dependencies are well-defined on the Gnucash Web site.=20
Second, I disagree that getting Gnucash running is overly difficult,
especially if you read the documentation (which will be significantly
better and more up-to-date in 1.8.0).  Here's a URL you may find useful:
	http://www.gnucash.org/en/required.phtml

> 	I like the gnucash-1.4x version best for my uses. It has a very=20
> close resemblance to Quickin and will please most of the people who=20
> change from Windows to Linux. I have it set up and running fine in Red=20
> Hat version 7.2 but it was difficult to make work there. It was very=20
> nice in Red Hat version 7.1. When I try to install it in this Red Hat=20
> 8.0 it gives me this:
>=20
> [root@bucket rpms]# rpm -i gnucash-1.4.12-1.i386.rpm=20
> error: Failed dependencies:
>         libguile.so.6 is needed by gnucash-1.4.12-1
> [root@bucket rpms]#=20
>=20

libguile.so.6 is part of the guile package.  For me, it's in guile
1.3.4-19.  You can check your version of guile by typing "rpm -q guile"
from a command prompt.  Your version of guile may be 1.4-8, which comes
with libguile.so.9.  That would be where your failed dependency comes
from.  RedHat 8.0 uses a version of guile which is too new for such an
old version of Gnucash.

> 	Alas I do not know how to install libguile.so.6 but I looked on=20
> all three of the cd-rom's and saw nothing that looks like that. If the=20
> gnucash developers could package this library with gnucash it might run.=
=20
> By the way I tried to compile the tar ball but came up with the same=20
> Failed dependencies.

You may want to try getting the source rpm for the version of Gnucash
you want to run, and running "rpm --rebuild" on it.  Of course, you'll
need to make sure you have all the required devel packages installed.

HTH a little,
--=20
Matthew Vanecek
perl -e 'print $i=3Dpack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'
*****
For 93 million miles, there is nothing between the sun and my shadow except=
 me.

--=-nkS6OaGSduWSkZDL4fqA

--=-nkS6OaGSduWSkZDL4fqA--