Opening balance for investment account

Matthew Vanecek mevanecek@yahoo.com
07 Dec 2002 20:17:15 -0600

--=-p245I7wcYdURQ0XFgw/q

On Sat, 2002-12-07 at 19:32, Ian Pilcher wrote:
> Thanks to a major piece of idiocy on my part, I have the "opportunity"
> to re-enter my finances from scratch, and I've decided to "to it right"
> this time, and track all of my finances with GnuCash.  (I had previously
> only been tracking bank accounts.)
>=20
> I'm trying to create an account to represent one of my IRAs, and every-
> thing on the Opening Balance page of the New Account dialog is greyed
> out.  How can I enter an opening balance?
>=20

It sounds like you are trying to create this as a Stock or Mutual Fund
account.  These don't let you put in an opening balance because they
track shares, not money.  When I reorganized my accounts and started a
new file, I discovered the same thing you did.  What I did was open the
newly created Mutual Fund account and enter the appropriate
figures--number of shares, price, buy cost (which was the current value
of what I had in the account).  I used Equity:Opening Balances as the
transfer account.  This is basically what the Opening Balance entry in
the New Account dialog does.  It's just an extra step, really.

> Thanks!
--=20
Matthew Vanecek
perl -e 'print $i=3Dpack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'
*****
For 93 million miles, there is nothing between the sun and my shadow except=
 me.

--=-p245I7wcYdURQ0XFgw/q

--=-p245I7wcYdURQ0XFgw/q--