Rapid version changes

Karl F. Larsen k5di@zianet.com
Sun, 8 Dec 2002 05:42:43 -0700 (MST)

On 8 Dec 2002, Conrad Canterford wrote:

> On Sun, 2002-12-08 at 12:02, Bob Holtzman wrote:
> > On Sat, 7 Dec 2002, Karl F. Larsen wrote:
> > > I think the designers of gnucash should check with all the Linux suppliers
> > > and get a library list from them. Then if Red Hat doesn't have a library
> > > you need, you provide it with the system in the rpm file. Same with Debian.
> > My impression is that the various distributors are responsible for the
> > packages (rpm, deb, etc.) not the developers. The developers'
> > responsibility is for the source code only. Someone please correct me if
> > I'm wrong.
>
> That is correct, and is a point I have attempted to make here before.
>
> The developers could not possibly be responsible for building packages
> of every version of gnucash for each and every release of every distro.
> We don't have the time, we don't have the hardware, and we'd much rather
> be fixing real bugs in the software.
> Next thing you know, people will be asking us why we don't provide
> binaries for the FreeBSD, SPARC, and MacOS ports as well.
>
> Conrad.

	Hi Conrad, then I should just drop this list and bug Red Hat to
fix the rpm they are shipping with Red Hat 8.0. Instead I just got the
tar ball for gnucash version 1.6.6, a "stable" ie: old version and today
Sunday I plan to collect files necessary to compile this version right
on RH 8.0. Then at least I will know the software should run on the
machine.