Closing out 2002

Ian Pilcher pilchman@attbi.com
Thu, 19 Dec 2002 11:47:37 -0600

Since I recently had the "opportunity" to reenter all of my finances in
GnuCash, I decided to do it right and track all of my assets,
liabilities, income, and expenses.  (Previously, I only tracked my bank
accounts.)

So now I'm going to have to "close the books" on 2002.  Thinking back 15
years or so to my last accounting class, I believe that I should clear
all of my income and expense accounts to a "Net Income" account, and
then clean that to an equity account -- simple enough.

If possible, however, I would like to to this without messing up my
Income & Expense reports.  If I do the closing transactions as of
12/31/2002, the reports for 2002 will be messed up; if I close out on
1/1/2002, the 2002 reports will be messed up.

Anyone know of a good solution?

BTW, let me echo what so many others have said.  GnuCash is a tremendous
accomplishment, and I hope that everyone who has contributed to it feels
a great sense of achievement.

Thanks!
Ian Pilcher                                           pilchman@attbi.com