Gnucash Installation Question

Chris Vine chris@cvine.freeserve.co.uk
Fri, 27 Dec 2002 10:58:19 +0000

On Friday 27 December 2002 3:04 am, Jeremy Brown wrote:
> Chris,
>
> I think I figured out today what the problem was...but I don't really
> know what's causing it.
>
> As you probably know, when you compile a piece of software for a
> Slackware package, you typically run configure with the correct prefix
> specified (usr, for example), then make, then "make install
> prefix=$PKGDIR/usr") where $PKGDIR/usr is some arbitrary directory
> probably located somewhere in /tmp.  Then you can "cd $PKGDIR" and
> "makepkg" appropriately.  Well, g-wrap seems to work fine when I install
> it manually, but when I build a g-wrap package like this I always get
> that error I described earlier (about not being able to find g-wrapped).
>  I'm not sure why this is, as it has worked for all of the packages I've
> built in the past.  It almost sounds like something might be written
> wrong in g-wrap's configure.in.
>
> For now, I guess my solution will be to build packages using another
> method...maybe checkinstall.

The gnucash and g-wrap packages provide a DESTDIR variable to deal with this.
I do something like:

make DESTDIR=/tmp/gnucash install

This puts everything in /tmp/gnucash/usr and I can use makepgk from there.  I
don't know why your approach (setting the prefix veriable) doesn't work, but
the DESTDIR one Works For Me(tm).

I am using the standard libtool which comes with Slackware 8.1.

Chris.