newbie: one account under two top level accounts

Conrad Canterford conrad@mail.watersprite.com.au
28 Dec 2002 10:08:54 +1100

On Sat, 2002-12-28 at 09:07, Mirko Koenig wrote:
> I made two top level accounts: ebay and games.
> If i spent money for games at ebay i make a transaction in the games account
> under the ebay knot.
> Eg: 15euro for a game, so the ebay account shows 15 euro too.
> But i want the games top level account schow the 15 euro too.

This is not possible in gnucash. It breaks the fundamental assumption of
double-entry accounting, on which gnucash is based. In double-entry
accounting, everything must balance, and that is not possible if
something is showing up in more than one place.

The solution would be to have a "category" field for each transaction,
allowing you to specify none or more categories to which the transaction
belongs, and then allowing reports to work on categories. This has been
discussed before, but there are no plans to implement it that I'm aware
of.

Sorry.
Conrad.