Year End procedure (tutorial)

Michael T. Garrison Stuber garrisonstuber@bellsouth.net
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 21:54:19 -0500 (EST)

> > 	2. Save this file under a new name
>
> No, I'd rather use the function "Export accounts..." under the "File" menu.
> This creates you a file with the same account structure but without any
> transactions (which you won't have to delete, then).
>
> Thinking about it more, it seems like exporting the accounts is suited to a
> "real" book closure at the turn of the year. Whereas if you want to *split*
> an existing book which spans several years, you probably better copy the
> existing file and delete the non-suiting transactions.

This becomes very important when tracking investments.  If you want the
most favorable tax treatment, you need to be able to identify which set of
shares you are selling, and what price you bought it at.  This history,
which may span many years, is critical for determining cost basis and
compounded rates of return.  Thus, at least for personal finance, I can't
see using the "Export accounts" option.  Of course, I may be missing
something here.