RPM available for g-wrap-1.3.2

deane@gooroos.com deane@gooroos.com
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 19:16:26 -0800

I guess that I owe Doug Graves a bit of an apology.

A few days ago he reported on this list that he was having trouble
installing the gnucash-1.7.3 RPM on his RedHat 8.0 system.  I responded
that the RPM was intended for RH 7.3 systems, so it was little wonder that
he was having problems.

Imagine, then, my surprise and chagrin when I tried to install that same
RPM on my RH 7.3 system and found that it didn't work *there* either.

The problem is that it insists on g-wrap-1.3.2 or greater.  Even more
annoying is that there does not appear to be an RPM for that version (or
higher) of g-wrap, either on sourceforge, the gnucash ftp or on the various
Linux RPM sites.

Okay, simple enough.  I'll just rebuild it from the sources, which *are* on
the gnucash ftp site.  Even that was not without its problems, though, as
the spec file which is used to build the RPM was horribly out of date.

I did, however, eventually manage to get g-wrap to build and have uploaded
the RPM so that others won't have to go through the same hassle.  It is
available here:

	<http://www.gooroos.com/Downloads/g-wrap-1.3.2-1.i686.rpm>

If you plan on trying to rebuild gnucash from source, then you will need
this RPM as well:

	<http://www.gooroos.com/Downloads/g-wrap-devel-1.3.2-1.i686.rpm>

And if for some reason you have to rebuild g-wrap for yourself, here's the
source RPM for g-wrap, with the repaired spec file in it:

	<http://www.gooroos.com/Downloads/g-wrap-1.3.2-1.src.rpm>

Note that, due to a known bug with libtool involving libraries in a package
being dependent upon other libraries in the same package, you cannot just
do the usual 'rpmbuild --rebuild' on the g-wrap source RPM.  Instead, you
will have to go through the following, rather convoluted procedure:

	rpm -i g-wrap-1.3.2-1.src.rpm
	cd /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES
	tar xzf g-wrap-1.3.2.tar.gz
	cd g-wrap-1.3.2
	./configure
	make
	make install
	rpmbuild -bb rpm/spec
	make uninstall

At that point you should have a new g-wrap RPM sitting in one of the
subdirectories of /usr/src/redhat/RPMS and you can install it onto your
system.

If you have any problems with these packages, feel free to let me know.
But I'm neither and RPM nor g-wrap expert, so don't be surprised if I'm
just as stumped as you.  :-)

  - deane                          Gooroos Software: Plugging you into Maya

                          Visit http://www.gooroos.com for more information