How do you export your data

Matthew Vanecek mevanecek@yahoo.com
18 Oct 2002 22:21:52 -0500

--=-08rHYpBkMubv2nHrex4E

On Fri, 2002-10-18 at 09:55, Laura Conrad wrote:
>=20
> I'm using gnucash for the accounting of an organization of which I'm
> treasurer.  Other people, particularly the president, need to see
> the state of the accounts, on a level more detailed than the
> expense and income piecharts, which are very nice.
>=20
> He's a microsoft user, and we've been communicating on budgets via
> spreadsheets, which he views in excel, and I view in gnumeric.  This
> works fine, and I'm surprised that gnucash doesn't seem to offer any
> kind of export (like .csv files) that could be used this way.
>=20
> The best I came up with this morning was to send him a .pdf file of
> the register printout, and a .html file of the chart of accounts.  Is
> there something a little more accessible that I could have done?  In
> particular, some kind of text-based export that could be annotated
> or put into a spreadsheet would be preferable.  I can edit html, but I
> don't think he can, and neither of us can do much with pdf.
>=20
> --=20

GnuCash can import data, but AFAIK it cannot export data (except for the
Chart of Accounts).  However (this may or may not be a small
consolation), the file is stored in XML format, and I believe the DTD is
available.  If you're familiar with XML, you could parse it out to a
csv, or any other format, really...Java has a pretty good XML parser, or
GNOME's.  Not sure if that helps you, but maybe it'll provide a start.=20
If you get *really* industrious, there's also a Java package (GPL, IIRC)
which writes Excel workbooks and works on Linux...I don't remember the
name, but Google will.

If you *do* write a parser, feel free to donate it to the project if you
can. ;)

--=20
Matthew Vanecek
perl -e 'print
$i=3Dpack(c5,(41*2),sqrt(7056),(unpack(c,H)-2),oct(115),10);'
*****
except me.

--=-08rHYpBkMubv2nHrex4E

--=-08rHYpBkMubv2nHrex4E--