Customer vs Company

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Apr 1 10:55:45 CST 2003

Dale Alspach <alspach at math.okstate.edu> writes:

> QuickBooks has some extra fields in the vendor setup which give some extra
> flexibility to avoid the John Doe John Doe address. What seems to be needed
> is an address on envelope. Gnucash could suggest this based on the entries
> in the present fields and then allow the user to edit the address on
> envelope. Also some companies have both a location address and a PO Box. A
> user may want the physical address for some purposes but mail to the PO
> Box.

Customers have a Billing Address and a Shipping Address.  Vendors
only have Biling Address.  Employees have a Home Address.

I appreciate your looking into what Quickbooks has/does.  I think I
did at least "centralize" the ability to print out a name+address, so
I can take a look at it not print the "company name" if the "contact
name" is the same thing.

I don't have time to do all this other configuration.

> Another field that QuickBooks has is the "name on check" which may
> be required to be some legal version of the company name or a completely
> different name.

Find me 10 developers to work on GnuCash full-time and I'll be sure to
get things like this into the codebase. ;)

> Dale Alspach

-derek

PS: These are good ideas, but at the rate I'm going some of them might
not get implemented until 2005. ;)   However, please file RFEs on them
or they wont ever get implemented.