Customer vs Company

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Thu Apr 3 11:02:03 CST 2003

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 10:58:57AM -0500, Derek Atkins was heard to remark:
> linas at linas.org (Linas Vepstas) writes:
> > There are perfectly legit reasons to want to extract a list of only
> > customer names (without showing account balances).   Maybe you just want
>
> Well, you _can_ get this information:
>
>         Business -> Customers -> Find Customers
>
>         Select Customers:
>         Customer Name  [matches] [regex] .*
>
> or
>         Customer Name [does not match] [substring] ?
>
> (where '?' is a character you don't use in a customer name)
>
> Granted, there is no way to print out the results of the selection
> window, but you can get the list.  My point is that it's not a common
> feature, so I really don't see the value in cluttering up the UI with
> a shortcut.

Uhhh. I am reminded of bug tracking systems that allow you to 'remember'
how to build a certain type of report, so that next time you don't have
to retype it.   But it does get the GUI cluttered fast.

On the other hand, this *is* getting towrds the next generation of hurdles
that gnucash will have to deal with, if it continues to grow in features.

The alternative is to somehow 'anti-grow' features, but I don't see quite
how that would work.

--linas