Customer vs Company

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Thu Apr 3 11:07:08 CST 2003

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 11:59:53AM -0500, plussier at mindspring.com was heard to remark:

> In a message dated: 03 Apr 2003 11:44:33 EST
> Derek Atkins said:
>
> >Feel free to submit patches..  Right now, it would be rather
> >challenging (IMHO).  But I don't understand LDAP.
>
> What about it is challenging?  Rewriting the existing mechanism by
> which Gnucash stores address information, or getting it to query an
> LDAP server?

I've tried to use ldap on multiple occasions, and its always a mind-bending
hassle.

(I was tryig to use it instead of yellowpages, to manage user logins
across many machines.  Yuck.)

> I merely see LDAP as a convenient mechanism to share directory
> information with other LDAP aware applications.  It by no means
> should be a requirement for using GnuCash, especially since most
> GnuCash users seem to be individuals, and LDAP is more a feature
> I expect would  only be interesting to small companies which
> already use LDAP for other things.

My interest is in syncing my celphone address book to my evolution
address book, which BTW exists on multiple computers, etc.  Today,
the technology is messy, adhoc, uncertain, unclear.   I don't see
that gnucash neads to pave the way, here.

--linas