Customer vs Company

plussier at mindspring.com plussier at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 3 12:53:45 CST 2003

In a message dated: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 11:50:00 CST
Dale Alspach said:

>I am not one of the developers so feel free to ignore this or explain why I
>am wrong.
>
>I would argue that going off in the direction of LDAP is a mistake.
>You have in development another version of gnucash that uses a database.
>Once everything is in database tables any database tools available to
>generate reports, queries, etc., will be available to extract data from
>the database independent of gnucash (provided the table structure is not
>so convoluted as to make the nearly complete understanding of gnucash
>itself necessary to query the database usefully).

My understanding was that this was going to be an embedded database
though, not using the postmaster db server from PostgreSQL.

Is this incorrect?

I totally agree that if there is going to be a full-fledged SQL-db
backend to GnuCash, then that is the place to store all this
information.

I don't completely agree that LDAP integration is a mistake.  The
reason, as I stated before, is that I can definitely see where a
business may want to access name/address information from both
GnuCash and something like Evolution.  Evolution speaks LDAP, it
doesn't speak SQL, nor does Outlook or any other mail client AFAIK.

Now, if there's going ot be a full-blown db back end, then it's
entirely possible to poll this data from PostgreSQL and populate an
LDAP server if that's what the business wants to do.  That would be
the ideal solution, since it doesn't involve GnuCash at all, it's
totally optional, and allows anyone without knowledge of LDAP or SQL
to live a happy life :)

But, as I stated, my understanding was that it was going to be an
embeded SQL engine, not a full-fledged db server.
--

Seeya,
Paul