Customer vs Company

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Thu Apr 3 19:40:25 CST 2003

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 03:32:36PM -0500, plussier at mindspring.com was heard to remark:

> Ahhh, okay. I get it, so you're ultimately going to ditch the XML store
> completely in favor of a real database where the same SQL code gets
> used regardless of whether it's an embedded db or not.

Maybe. Maybe not.

> That sounds good.  (though I once argued in favor of maintaining the
> flat text file, all those reasons are satisfied if I can dump the db
> to a file for back up purposes, but that's a different horse, which
> I'm pretty sure is dead now :)

XML is also good for network transport, and an earlier version of the XML
file format did just that.  It is useful for portability too; not all SQL
dialects are the same, and gnucash uses stored proceedures, which not
all databases handle well.  Archiveing too.   Old database backups
are often dangerous, useless, and unrestorable, and thus unsuitable
for archiving.

--linas