Question to european gnucash users

marthter marthter at yahoo.ca
Wed Aug 6 00:52:45 CDT 2003

Fredrik Persson wrote:

>On Tuesday 05 August 2003 20.19, Steve Hall wrote:
>
>What's the point of having checks, really?? They just seem to make everything
>more complicated and difficult.

You can put a cheque in your pocket.

You can present a cheque to a charity with lots of fanfare and get good
press.

You can use a cheque as evidence in court (may be possible with
electronic transactions, but somehow not as convincing).

You can put a cheque in a birthday card.

You can write someone a cheque during a power failure, or (gasp!) while
away from your computer.

You can put a down-payment on a house with a cheque (I've yet to see
this happen with electronic transactions, and I've been watching carefully).

I like electronic transactions as much as the next guy, and I have moved
to them as much as possible.  But some people still give cheques (a
customer of mine usually pays me that way as he has no internet access
and lives 2 hours from his nearest bank), and expect to receive them (my
landlord), so although cheques have shrunk to a small percentage of the
transactions, everybody around here (Canada) still has to be prepared to
accept them and provide them.

Just because you don't use cheques doesn't mean nobody should use them,
and doesn't mean (as others have elaborated on) that reconciling is
pointless or that the feature should be removed (which is what your
comments seemed to be driving at).  You still can use reconciling to
check your cheque-less transactions and ensure that the amount you
intended to tip at the restaurant by Visa ('n' in the R column), matches
what shows up in your running balance on Visa's site (which may take a
few days to get posted depending on the vendor) ('c' in the R column),
and is really how much they took according to your monthly (online or
paper) statement ('y' in the R column).

Cheers.

~Martin

Yes, Canadians (and I suppose the rest of the Commonwealth) spell it
that way.