RPM Spec Files

Paul Harouff pharouff at comcast.net
Wed Feb 12 23:33:07 CST 2003

The RPM spec files are only for Red Hat.

Has anyone developed an RPM spec file for other distros who would be
willing to share how he did it? I run SuSE 8.1 with necessary Gnome
updates for Evolution 1.2.1.

After running Linux a year and a half, I've finally learned how to build
RPMs when the spec files are available with the tar file. Unfortunately,
I have no idea how to write a spec file from scratch -- especially for
software I didn't develop.

Is there some simple fix for converting a Red Hat spec file to a SuSE
spec file?

YaST is much more stable if all the packages are installed as RPMs. When
I install from source, the dependencies get all screwed up and it's
almost impossible to fix them.

Paul
Alexandria, VA