investment data entering

Bill Suit bsuit at bellsouth.net
Sun Jul 6 13:24:28 CDT 2003

I just realized that I did now cc the list. Here's my response:

On Sun, 2003-07-06 at 11:17, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Bill Suit <bsuit at bellsouth.net> writes:
>
> > Using v.1.8.4. I'm using the online manual to set up my investment
> > accounts.
> >
> > Assets-investments-brokerage accounts-vanguard-mutual funds-522 is
the
> > example I'll use.522 is the fund identifier used by vanguard and is
what
> > I have named my account after.
>
> Let me use more GnuCash speak here, just to make sure.  You setup the
> account hierarchy:
>
>         Assets:Investments:Brokerage Accounts:Vanguard:Mutual
Funds:522

> In other words, you've got 6 levels of accounts here..   Not that this
> is a problem, but I'm just making sure.
Correct

> First, make sure that the "522" account is of of type "mutual fund"
> and ALSO make sure that the account commodity is configured to be the
> proper VX___ symbol for your vanguard account.
I've just "seen the light" on this commodity entry - I think.On account
522 I did an "edit >  commodity select > type = FUND > Currency/security
= VBLTX (Long Term Bond Index Fund) > OK > OK" (I'm being a little anal
here for others who may follow).

> > I've noted Fredrik Persson's July 1st post on the topic and don't
fully
> > understand exactly what he did.
>
> Well, what about it confused you?
What to do with the commodity stuff (above)

> > To keep this simple. On 09/16/02 I gave vanguard $5,000.00. In
return
> > they gave me: 432.90 shares, priced at $11.55 per share of fund
#522.

> Well, that's simple.  You enter a transaction dated 9/16/02 where you
> buy 432.90 "shares" at a "price" of 11.55 -- it should auto-compute
> the "buy" as "4999.99".  That extra penny is down in the 4th decimal
> place of shares if the price is really $11.55 (5000/11.55 =
432.9004329...)

> > How and where should I enter this information. All of the
permutations I
> > could think of have (appeared to) failed.I say appeared to fail, as
> > maybe what it's done is correct and I just don't recognise it TIA,
Bill

> Open up your "522" account and enter it.  How did the permutations
> fail?  If they fail by recomputing the price at $1, then you failed to
> set the account commodity.  If it complains about the $5000 and tells
you
> you're out of balance, that's because of the math issue I just showed
> above (how many significant digits does vanguard keep?).
I think 3 digits. Anyway, after entering the correct (I think) commodity
info I was able to make a correct data entry for the 522 account.
However, my Accounts overview shows under the Total column "432.90
VBLTX". Is this as it should be?
> I hope this helps.
'Couldn't a dun it wit out yuh'. Thanks derek. More posts to follow on
other aspects.

> -derek

Bill