Cross-reporting ?

Thiers Botelho thiers at fosfertil-ultrafertil.com.br
Fri Jul 11 13:51:25 CDT 2003

Hi all,

I've been thinking of using GnuCash to (re)start controlling my home
expenses. I'm a former user of Quicken 2000, which I have not used it in
the last 2 yrs or so. For this reason I'm not quite sure on the
terminology, but there is a particular item which is important for me ; I
could do it in Quicken, and I'd be glad if someone could tell me if
GnuCash will do something similar  - preferably before I start studying
the documentation. It goes like :

In Quicken, I could record transactions within particular categories (?)
like "Dining Expenses" and "Medicine", for instance ; PLUS when entering
each transaction I could also add another qualifier (class ?) such as
"John" and "Mary".

Therefore, when producing reports, I could have all the cross-reporting
options, like "Dining Expenses for Everybody", "All Expenses for Mary", or
"Medicine for John".

Does GnuCash provide a practical means to achieve this flexibility ? If
so, what structures and options I should look for in the docs ?

Thanx all in advance.

Thiers