Contractor usage

Linas Vepstas linas at linas.org
Wed Nov 5 16:26:10 CST 2003

On Sun, Oct 19, 2003 at 11:08:09AM -0400, Derek Atkins was heard to remark:
> Well, I wrote the thing because I wanted to use it for my
> consulting company.  But I don't have Inventory or Parts
> issues.  The multi-user aspects are certainly a problem,
> and gnucash has near zero internal security or separation
> of priviledges.  Unfortunately this is a design mis-feature
> that goes all the way to the core of the system, so adding
> it in would effectively require a complete rewrite.

Um, Derek,  Since I'm busy tearing things up with qof anyway,
this might be a good time to discuss this.  Do you have any
particular opinions or good ideas on how to accomplish priveldge
separation, etc. ?  Would you want a capabilites system?
Something with ACL's/MAC-like thingy? Hooks for both?   Users?
Roles?

All I'm thinking of would be to add appripriate hooks to
appropriate places, and 'refactor' as needed, and add the bare-bones
minimal to keep it working as it currently does.  But I haven't
given this design much thought, so now is a good time to point
out any of the 'fundamental design flaw' type issues, and possible
blue-sky workarounds for them.

Let me know ...