401(k) Accounts

Bobby Goins goins at iglou.com
Sun Oct 5 14:37:14 CDT 2003

Unfortunately, this is not as easy as it seems.

Here is a typical scenario:

Purchased:  (1-Jul-2003 to 30-Sep-2003)
            3.45 shares of Mutual Fund A
           10.78 shares of Mutual Fund B
           50.00 shares of Money Market C
            8.26 shares of Stock D

Cash Account: (1-Jul-2003 to 30-Sep-2003)
              ($ 2,500) Withdrawal for above purchases
               $ 2,500  Contributions from pay

Account Balance: (As of 30-Sep-2003)

             30.78 shares of Mutual Fund A @ $ 25.00   $   769.50
            200.00 shares of Mutual Fund B @ $ 15.32   $ 3,064.00
            886.65 shares of Money Market C @ $ 1.00   $   886.65
             15.44 shares of Stock D @ $ 92.87         $ 1,433.91
                   Cash Account                        $     0
                   Total                               $ 6,154.06

(The numbers are changed to protect the innocent)

Since you do not know the prices of anything except the Money Market,
you have 3 unknown purchase prices.  In this case:

3.45A + 10.78B + 50.00 + 8.26D = 2500

What are: A, B & D ?

See my dilemma?

I can live with just adding the number of shares of A, B and D, but I
don't know what to do with the cash account withdrawal.

Any ideas?