Newby question.

jack van de sande jvdsande at home.nl
Tue Sep 9 21:50:07 CDT 2003

On Tuesday 09 September 2003 10:15, Anton Broenink wrote:

> Can anyone help in pointing towards a manual that explains how to set up a
> giro-account in GnuCash ?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Kind regards
> Anton broenink

Anton,

I started some months ago with gnucash after for years having used a home
brewed cashbook based on ms access and excell.
I was not real acquainted with double entry book keeping, and I am not
acquainted at all with US methods of payments (check books ant that kind of
stuff), but, after a period of trial and error the whole is now getting a
shape that is useful for me, and I start to like it.

Also in my case most of my payments are made via my giro account, be it via a
pin payment or be it via a money transfer (overschrijving).
I created an account named "giro" of the type "Bank" under Assets -> Current
Assets.
Furthermore I have a number of other accounts like Expenses, Income and
Spaarrekeningen (This one also under Assets -> Current Assets), all these
accounts with a number of subaccounts.
At regular intervals I download all transactions from my real giro account via
girotel as a csv file. I convert this file with a perl script to a qif file
and import this file in gnucash.
Each transaction is then registered in the giro account and in another account
determined by the perl script and the text in the cvs file for that
transaction.
So for example: a payment for my energy bill is double booked as well in my
giro account ("opname", "withdrawal") as well in the account Expenses -> Nuts
-> Electricity.
So all the transactions of my giro account, which makes up the greater part of
all transactions, are entered automatically. The others I enter manually.

regards,

Jack van de Sande