Price update fails

David Hampton hampton at employees.org
Wed Sep 10 12:38:31 CDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-09-10 at 08:50, Tony De Simone wrote:
> I'm running 1.8.5 on a RH9 system, installed from RPMs.  My first guess
> was that I had an old "update-finance-quote" script, but I don't think
> that's true:
> $ rpm -q -f /usr/bin/update-finance-quote
> gnucash-1.8.5-0.9
> $ rpm --verify gnucash
> .M.....T   /usr/share/gnome/help/gnucash/C/chartofaccts.xml
> .M.....T   /usr/share/gnome/help/gnucash/C/chtacctseg.xml
> .M.....T   /usr/share/gnome/help/gnucash/C/fdl-appendix.xml
> .M.....T   /usr/share/gnome/help/gnucash/C/gnucash-help.xml
> .M.....T   /usr/share/gnome/help/gnucash/C/legal.xml
> .M.....T   /usr/share/gnome/help/gnucash/C/txf-categories.xml
> $
>
> Do I have some local problem with my perl installation, or is something
> broken in "update-finance-quote" from this RPM?  I was going to muck
> with the various configuration parameters, but  know only enough perl to
> cause trouble.  Besides, it shoulda worked....

I agree, but its not a Gnucash problem if it doesn't.
Update_finance_quote does nothing more than invoke the perl CPAN
module.  If that doesn't work the problem is in your perl installation
or in CPAN.  Both are well beyond the scope of what we can support.  You
could try the install by hand if you want:

	$ perl -MCPAN -eshell
	cpan> install LWP
	cpan> install Date::Manip
	cpan> install HTML::Parser
	cpan> install HTML::TableExtract
          cpan> install Finance::Quote

> BTW, I did try removing the ~/.cpan directory to make sure I wasn't
> setting some configuration variable incorrectly.

You need to remove the /root/.cpan directory.

> Any suggestions would be appreciated.  It's getting a little tedious,
> entering prices by hand...

Try a difference CPAN mirror?  I've had good luck with
mirrors.kernel.org.

David