Re Help to configure

ghaverla at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca ghaverla at freenet.edmonton.ab.ca
Thu Sep 11 07:13:22 CDT 2003

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, bob parker wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 11:28, David Hampton wrote:
> > On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 17:39, bob parker wrote:

> > > I have just downloaded GnuCash version 1.8.5. source tarball.
> > > My system is Debian GnuLinux Woody.
> > >
> > > ./configure gives the following error messages:
> > >
> > > checking for glib-config... no
> > > checking for GLIB - version >= 0.99.7... no
> > > *** The glib-config script installed by GLIB could not be found
> > > *** If GLIB was installed in PREFIX, make sure PREFIX/bin is in
> > > *** your path, or set the GLIB_CONFIG environment variable to the
> > > *** full path to glib-config.
> > > configure: error: Cannot find glib. Check config.log
> > >
> > > The only glibs I can find on my system are glibc and mpeglib.
> >
> > Then you aren't running gnome.  :-)   If you have any gtk based apps on
> > your system then you have to have glib installed.  The error above is
> > actually printed because the script can't find the glib-devel package.

> I am running Debian Woody, I have numerous gnome packages installed and many
> more available but not installed. None of them include the word glib much
> less glib-devel. Where to now?

Well, installing from source at home site, versus installing from
Debian source package, versus installing Debian binary is your
choice.  But, if you visit the Debian package description for
gnucash, you will also find all the packages it depends on (42),
the packages it recommends (0) and suggests (2).  Numbers are from
"unstable".

Gord