xfer between accounts question

Elizabeth Dodd liz at billiau.net
Fri Apr 9 20:57:57 EDT 2004

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004 10:40, Jim wrote:
> On Saturday 03 April 2004 04:53 pm, bob belanger wrote:
> >    OK...
> >
> > I think I understand what you are saying.
> >
> > However.. using the number from my check makes no sense in the register
> > for her checking account and will cause confusion when both checking
> > accounts are using the same group of numbers.
> >
> > I guess I am locked up in that " I only have one check #2430, if it
> > shows up more than once I have made a mistake"  rathole
> >
> > /bobb
>
> If you didn't want the check number showing up in your wifes account, you
> could use an intermediary cash account.  Your check number would show up in
> the "deposit" to the intermediary cash account.  The transaction of the
> withdrawal from the cash account and the deposit to your wifes account
> could have a different number, or no number at all.
>
> I use this cash account for weird stuff all the time.  Like when I
> refinanced my house in November, and the lawyer gives me a check to made
> out to the county to pay my real estate taxes (since it was to close for
> the bank to pay from escrow).  I can't book it as part of the refi, because
> that was last year and I couldn't give the county their check for the taxes
> until this year.
>
> So I enter the transaction as me paying the closing costs, and some of that
> coming back to me that goes into the cash account.  In January, when I gave
> the check to the county, it goes from the cash account to the county tax
> expense account.

Simple system, which I hadn't cc'd to the list before

The simplest workaround is to add a letter to the cheque number so your cheque
is B2430 and hers is W2430.

Liz

--
Fortune's Real-Life Courtroom Quote #3:

Q:  When he went, had you gone and had she, if she wanted to and were
    able, for the time being excluding all the restraints on her not to
    go, gone also, would he have brought you, meaning you and she, with
    him to the station?
MR. BROOKS:  Objection.  That question should be taken out and shot.