Question about printing invoices

Jon Lapham lapham at extracta.com.br
Fri Apr 16 12:31:11 EDT 2004

John Pettigrew wrote:
> In a previous message, Derek Atkins <warlord at MIT.EDU> wrote:
>>John Pettigrew <john at pettigrew.org.uk> writes:
>>
>>>In my previous accounts package, I could type the code for a particular
>>>account/expense/whatever, and the software would convert this into the
>>>relevant account/expense/whatever. This saves lots of time.
>>
>>You can type shorthand.  For example if you want to get to Expense:Foo:Bar
>>you can type e:f:b [snip] You can also use the arrow keys (up/down) in the
>>menu once the menu pops up.
>

> Aha - I hadn't realised I could type a colon to get this effect. That will do
> nicely! I had realised about the arrow keys but that still takes *ages* if
> there are lots of accounts to scan through.

Another time saving tip is that you can change your non-transaction
containing accounts to be "placeholder" accounts [1].  Then, they will
not show up in the popup menus, making that list of accounts shorter.

I have a very highly structured business file where I was able to remove
something like 30-40% of the accounts from the popup menu lists using
this trick.

[1] to do this, highlight the account, click on "Edit" and tick the
Placeholder box.  You can always undo this later if you change your mind.