`Balance' dialog box.. what is it for.

Josh Sled jsled at asynchronous.org
Wed Aug 4 11:36:28 EDT 2004

On Tue, 2004-08-03 at 23:09, Harry Putnam wrote:

> First time user:
> After creating a couple of test accounts, I go to the register to
> enter some transactions.  Just simple deposit withdrawal stuff.

Please describe the type of transaction you're attempting to create.

Specifically:
* what splits?
* into what accounts?
* of what amounts?
and * what are the account-types.

> After filling in appropriate fields I hit the `enter' button on
> toolbar.  Each time it gives me a dialog box with 3 choices.
>
> [] Balance it manually
> [] Let GnuCash add an adjusting split
> [X] Adjust current account split
>
> The default always is set as above.  But with that default if I say ok
> my newly added transaction is erased

It sounds like you're creating unbalanced transactions, and GnuCash is
trying to help you balance them.

All transactions in GnuCash _must_ balance to 0.00.  That is: the sum of
the credits and debits in all of the splits of any transaction must sum
to 0.

> I'm trying to use this register as one would a check register, is that
> not how it is supposed to work?

You might be happier with the "Basic Ledger" style register, which hides
the "implicit" split.

> This little dialog box is making the process at least 3 times slower
> than it needs to be.  I don't understand the point.

The point is Real Accounting Consistency. :)
Formality does sometimes get in the way of ease-of-use.
We try to balance both.

...jsled