`Balance' dialog box.. what is it for.

Wiggins d Anconia wiggins at danconia.org
Wed Aug 4 23:20:31 EDT 2004

> Josh Sled <jsled at asynchronous.org> writes:
>
> > The double-entry-accounting constraint that all transactions sum to zero
> > is a Good Thing.   Obviously, our UI and docs needs to polish it some
> > more...
>
> Well thanks for your patience and for teaching me something.  I never
> really considered the transaction is always equal to zero in the sense
> you show.  In fact, I'm not sure I see why that needs to be pointed
> out constantly.  At least for simple usage.  That aspect could as well
> be transparant to the user.
>
> I guess for my use I will continue to check [x] let gnucash add a
> balancing split.  Or will all those notated `unbalanced USD' things
> cause me a problem down the line?

I know you are (seem) adverse to using the docs, but going through the
tutorial really will clear all of this up (I know I was just as
confused), and in the end if you stick with it you will have a much
better understanding and view of your financial position than if you
were to just keep a check ledger.  It also shouldn't take more than an
hour, which is little price to pay for the knowledge it will impart.

Not sure if this is a common thread topic, but I would like to say I am
very glad GnuCash is not just another simple check entry program, I can
accomplish that with a text editor easily enough.  Now if the education
system would make teaching double entry accounting in high school as
important as they make other things like algebra and english literature
the world would be a much better place......

http://danconia.org