`Balance' dialog box.. what is it for.

Harry Putnam reader at newsguy.com
Thu Aug 5 10:19:46 EDT 2004

"Wiggins d Anconia" <wiggins at danconia.org> writes:

> Not glad handing the product, but since joining the list recently I have
> only seen people rant about how the software can't accomplish their
> simple tasks.

Might want to start a thread about your observations rather than try
to insert it into this one.

> Ok so I will ask the question I thought I knew the answer to, is GnuCash
> trying to be all things to everyone, a simple check book accounting
> program, or is it designed and geared towards more interesting tasks?
> Possibly in the case of the latter this needs to be made much more
> explicit, lest the software become another pile designed completely to
> do simple tasks.

Again you feel a need to insert stuff no one has suggested. Here again
this belongs in a different thread.

You might want to review the published `Introduction'  in gnucash
help, where its developers have laid out a somewhat different view
than what you seem to be advancing.

  GnuCash is the personal finance software package made for you. It is
  versatile enough to keep track of all your financial information, from
  the simple to the very complex. It is one of the few financial
  software packages that supports global currencies, and it is the only
  open-source program of its kind. And best of all, it is easy to use!

  So what can GnuCash do for you? It can keep track of your personal
  finances in as much detail as you prefer. If you are just starting
  out, use GnuCash to keep track of your checkbook. .....
  [...]

In line with that guidline, I'm suggesting something to make that
starting out level a little easier.  And in fact have only really
suggested that the dialog box default to what was last used.

Its clearly stated there that the aim is to provide as much (or as
little) detail as the user may need.  My whole input has been about
getting it set to less detail.  Again clearly within the realms of
what its developers are shooting for.

Although I have no worked out plan as to how this might be
accomplished: I've hinted and now say clearly here that it seems
gnucash could use a mode where the double entry stuff is made as
transparent as possible.

Reading on thru the introduction it is clear to me from the intro that
gnucash developers do want people like me to use it.  They seem to be
hoping users will be guided into the more refined uses by using it for
there simple tasks first.

I think it might very well do that.