Updating Exchange rate and Stock price

Derek Atkins warlord at MIT.EDU
Tue Aug 10 01:56:48 EDT 2004

Thierry Lelièvre <thierrylelievre at free.fr> writes:

> Thanks,
>
> I'm going to try the --add-price-quotes options :-9

Note that you have to run this when you don't already have a running
copy of gnucash with your data file open....

> Concerning the update of the exchange rate, I would like to know, when I
> travel abroad and pay for a service in CAD (ex : car rent), how much I
> will be charged on my account in EUROS.

Uh, I don't think you can easily do this.  For one thing, you may have
a slightly different exchange rate because the bank may apply a fee
to the exchange.  So using downloaded rates isn't necessarily accurate.
Also, the exchange rate is encoded *in* the transaction...  So you'd
need to modify each transaction to change the exchange rate....

> I wonder if there is way to get the current exchange rate between
> currencies from a financial news website for instance.

Yes, there are.

> Thierry

-derek