log files don't log account creation?

cosmodog at comcast.net cosmodog at comcast.net
Tue Aug 10 21:48:33 EDT 2004

On Aug 10, 2004, at 4:52 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:

> jdebert <jdebert at garlic.com> writes:
>
>> cosmodog at comcast.net wrote:
>>> I recently had need to recover some "unsaved" work by "replaying" a
>>> log file.
>>>

>> more or less what I had reported to the list earlier.
>>
>> Was apparently ignored as i got jumped on instead with the assumption
>> that i lacked a backup policy and failed to do backups.
>>
>> You might also get "criticised" for "failing to properly backup".
>
> "save early, save often"...

Add to that  "don't even think about using the log replay feature."

On closer examination my log replay was a miserable failure.  I only
needed to recover a little bit of work since I do save early and often.
  But it seems that log reply doesn't just start after your last "save",
it runs through everything you have done _since you last started GC_.
So if log replay has shit on its heel it will get tracked all over the
house. Every transaction in the log that had been created via the SX
process was corrupted by the replay process - even transactions that
had been created, accepted, reedited, and "saved" numerous times over a
period of several days.  After replay, attempting to edit a debit or
credit in these transactions causes the value to disappear and prints
"Warning: PrintAmountInternal: Bad numeric." to the terminal.  The
transactions had to be deleted and recreated.  In fact I gave up and
went back to my pre replay .xacc file.

If my data is written out as _text_  and reloaded when I restart GC,
and it  _displays_ in the register just fine, how can it still be in
such a whacked uneditable state?

The replay feature should be removed as dangerous.  At least the Help
system should not so cheerfully imply it is useful.  I'm just pissed.
I'll get over it.

Does anyone find that log replay works?  Anyone rely on it?  Is it just
incompatible with transactions created via SX and business features?

I am still interested in understanding where is GC hiding the mystery
transfer account.

Thanks for your help,

Richard