Email Invoices

Neil Williams linux at codehelp.co.uk
Mon Aug 16 14:51:28 EDT 2004

On Monday 16 August 2004 7:23, Robert Uhl wrote:
> Derek Atkins <warlord at mit.edu> writes:
> > IMHO the hard part is generating the MIME message and including the
> > PDF (or HTML) of the invoice.
>
> Why generate PDF or HTML mail when ASCII text would suffice?  Easy to
> generate, readable anywhere, attractive & with small file sizes!

I would normally agree about other email content, but invoices are official
documents of a sort and should be printable upon receipt - they often have to
be kept for several years and very few companies in my field have reliable
digital archives. I send queries via email and correspondence, but an invoice
would go as an attachment of a finished document, ready for printing.
Probably PDF if I was emailing it to a large-ish organisation (i.e. not
someone using dial-up). HTML is particularly unreliable for documents - it
was never designed for this, despite numerous export filters - even if I get
all technical with CSS2 page media types, absolute positioning, page breaks,
same fonts at both ends, etc., there's very little to say that the invoice
will look anything like the original when it is printed in someone else's
browser.

I still like the original idea - print to a PS file and attach the file. Print
to a PDF if you like. Isn't adding an email client a bit of a distraction
from the main objective of GnuCash? I can't see many users not having an
existing, preferred, email client with all their config and address books. It
seems a waste for users to have to import their address book and email
settings when all that is already available.

--

Neil Williams